The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

Artist of the Issue: Eric Ge ’24

Hansen Zheng ’28

As the concertmaster of the Groton Chamber Orchestra, Head Music Prefect, and a crucial performer in Select Chamber Music, Eric Ge ’24 has demonstrated a remarkable talent for music. Since arriving on the Circle in Third Form, he has contributed significantly to the Groton music programs through his dependable leadership and unwavering dedication to the arts, performing in countless ensembles from Groton chamber groups to the Massachusetts All-State Orchestra. 

What compelled you to pursue the violin?

Initially, my parents encouraged me to pick up the instrument. As a 5-year-old boy, I didn’t understand much about music performance. Over time, however, I came to love many aspects of the violin: the ensemble collaboration, the beautiful concertos, the daily improvement, and much more. Even though learning violin requires years of commitment and practice, it’s these aspects of the instrument that have motivated me to continue practicing.

Has anyone in particular inspired you when it comes to music?

One of my earliest violin teachers, Mr. Yang, played a huge role in my love for music. Between the ages of 6 and 8, I studied at his studio, and I vividly remember his passion and enthusiasm for music. Whether it was taking his students to Joshua Bell concerts or hosting monthly church recitals, Mr. Yang taught me how to enjoy the violin.

What was your favorite experience as a musician, and why?

One of my favorite memories was from a travel performance in sixth grade. After making the AMIS Asia Honor Orchestra, I had the opportunity to participate in a three-day music festival in Hong Kong. From meeting musicians across the continent to playing advanced repertoire that I’d never seen before, the festival was a formative experience in my violin journey.

How has Groton influenced your journey in music?

The Chamber Orchestra and Select Chamber Music programs have strongly shaped my understanding of musical collaboration. As I’ve gradually taken on leadership roles in these ensembles, I’ve also learned how to more effectively guide my section—whether it’s simple tasks like sharing fingering tips, or more complex ideas like approaching a piece’s musicality. The music prefectship system has also enabled me to contribute through more than just performances, such as organizing concerts and hosting as an emcee. Of course, none of this would’ve been possible without the support of Dr. Lanier and Mr. T, who have helped me become both a musician and a leader.

Will you continue to play music in college/in the future in general?

I’m hoping to participate in some form of music in college, though I’m not too sure whether a large orchestra setting or a smaller chamber ensemble would be the better fit yet. However, after almost a decade and a half of violin, I plan to continue maintaining this musical passion of mine.

To members of the orchestra, and aspiring musicians in general, what advice would you give?

Practice, practice, practice, but also make sure to think about what you’re practicing. The idea of practice makes perfect is very prevalent in the music community, and for the most part, I agree with it. However, it’s also important to take initiative in your learning. Many times, rote repetition is not nearly as effective as targeted rehearsal.