MLK Day Activities

In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the Groton community spent the weekend honoring Martin Luther King Jr. and his mission.

On Monday morning, two outside speakers visited our campus. In chapel, Kenyan scholar and preacher Elizabeth Siwo-Okundi spoke about students having responsibilities to their communities. This was followed by a moving talk delivered by author Wes Moore.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in discussion groups led by the members of the Diversity and Inclusion committee. Discussion there ranged from the two talks, race, Martin Luther King Jr.’s mission, and the context of those things at Groton.

Students believe that while discussions are necessary, they could be improved. Hadley Callaway ’17 said, “There needs to be a better way to provoke thoughtful and productive discussion amongst students. All that said, I admire the efforts that the Diversity and Inclusion committee and the Cultural Alliance are making to create a community more welcoming to all.”

These groups are an example of the strides the community has made in only the past few years. In one group, a teacher mentioned that the idea of diversity and inclusion had not been something people at Groton considered about even only five years ago.

Overall, the events surrounding MLK day moved the community in the right direction. The discussion groups, though not perfect, provided a way for our community to hear everyone’s voice, from second to Sixth Formers. This year’s MLK Day events provided an invaluable learning experience, showing what to change, what to keep, and what to add for coming years.