The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

Artist of the Issue: Marlene Ma ’24

For the past five years, Arts Prefect Marlene Ma ’24 has demonstrated her talent and creativity through Grotons extensive programs, where she has emerged as a creator of remarkable distinction. Participating in both visual arts and theater, Marlene has contributed her skills both to Groton’s galleries and to stagecraft. 

How did you discover your passion for art, and when?

I’ve always liked art ever since I can remember, but I think my main influence was probably my mother, since I was in elementary school. She worked in the art business and I would often go with her to museums and auctions to see art. She also enrolled me in art classes, which led me to make art and helped me realize I really liked it.

My mom specializes in modern art and some contemporary art, too, but also knows general stuff about older things such as Renaissance and old masters.

What would you say is your most meaningful piece of art or portfolio?

I don’t play favorites, but I usually paint—I like to use acrylics because it’s what I’m most familiar with. However, I really like this one, in colored pencil:

This one was for my AP portfolio, and the concept was “East meets West.” This piece of art represents someone coming to America for the first time and being overwhelmed by all the options. It’s representative of immigrants or people from other countries in general.

What first drew you to working in stagecraft? Is there a correlation between your work there and in visual arts?

I really like painting, and there’s painting involved when building sets, so that was what drew me to stagecraft in the first place, and that’s how I got into it. My passion for painting led me to stagecraft, but now I like both of these activities on their own as well. 

Do you plan on continuing art after Groton?

I plan on majoring in something art-related at college, and in the far future I hope to work in a gallery or just the business that deals with art. I also hope to continue to create art in my free time. I don’t want to make art to sell, but I want to be in contact with artists and curate shows.

Do you have any advice for aspiring art students at Groton?

Do whatever you’re interested in, you might as well just try an art class. Even if you don’t know how to use a medium, just give it a try and maybe you’ll really like it. For example, I know a lot of people who tried art for the very first time at Groton, and found out they were good at it and liked it a lot!