The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The World Series

The finals of Major League Baseball’s World Series were a six-game series going from late October to early November, featuring the Houston Astros against the Philadelphia Phillies. The Phillies won the first and the third games, while the Astros won the rest–an undisputed victory.

With a large fanbase and lots of success, the Houston Astros were feared by teams going into the World Series. Their presence was controversial in the tournament, causing division between fans. Those against  the Astros were upset with the team due to a cheating scandal in the 2017 World Series. They were found guilty of stealing pitcher signs electronically by setting up cameras in the stadium. Since the incident, the number of Astros fans has decreased greatly, as many felt that their punishment was too light. winning this World Series was a form of redemption for the team, but it still didn’t completely work in their favor. They still can’t escape the 2017 scandal, and many baseball fans across the country agree that the Astros do not deserve to win after what they did five years ago.

Going forward, the win was a good chance for the team to prove themselves to the MLB. They persevered through the ups and downs, and still found success in a fair manner. They showed themselves and the fans that 2017 is no reflection of what their future holds. They are still a capable group who deserved their recent win, despite what some may say. 

After the monumental win, Astros fans celebrated hard. The more shocking event was the Astros’ firing of their general manager, James Click, just days after the win. Though this seems strange, especially after the Astros recent success, it turns out that it wasn’t out of the blue.  There had been arguments between Click and the owner of the Astros over the size of the team’s baseball operations staff. Click proceeded to reject the organization’s one-year extension of his contract. Dusty Baker will return to be the Astros manager in the upcoming 2023 season. 

Overall, The Houston Astros’ presence in the World Series started out and ended as a questionable topic. Whether or not fans believe their win was deserved, they came out on top with no known issues this year. This was a huge moment for the group, and gave them the motivation to push forward through the hate they faced. They came out of the tournament a stronger team, and many are still very excited for what is to come in the following seasons.