The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

Athlete of the Issue: Giulia Colarusso ’24

Giulia Colarusso ’24

The crowd holds their breath in anticipation as Giulia Colarusso ’24 makes her way towards the goal with the ball cradled safely in her stick. In a matter of seconds, the ball slams into the netted goal, and the field erupts into cheers and screams of delight from her teammates and supporters. Groton pulls ahead yet again. Now, as captain of the varsity girls lacrosse team, Giulia reflects on her time on and off the field. 

When did you first start playing lacrosse, and why did you choose to play it?

I started playing lacrosse in second grade when I was 7 years old. I grew up playing baseball with my brother, who also played lacrosse, so naturally, I picked up both sports. I had to choose which one to stick with when I got older, so I chose lacrosse because girls could only play baseball throughout Little League. I disliked playing lacrosse for a while because I hated practicing, but soon I fell in love with it. 

What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced while on the team here at Groton?

In the third practice of my freshman season, on April 10, 2021, I tore my ACL in my right knee. I had to get a major knee surgery, relearn how to walk, and rehab for eleven months. It was single-handedly the hardest thing I’ve been through, but it taught me so much about myself. Tearing my ACL gifted me a new perception of being part of a team. It showed me that being a leader doesn’t always come from what you produce on the field. I led by cheering on my teammates, warming up our goalie while sitting on a chair (I couldn’t stand), and showing up to every practice and game, even when I was at my lowest. 

What is the best piece of advice you’ve received in your lacrosse career that you would pass on to a younger player?

My greatest advice is a quote that my dad has always told me: “Forget about the last one and focus on the next one.” Being as hard on myself as I am, I often only concentrate on my mistakes and dwell on how I can be better. My dad always tells me to forget a mistake and focus on the next play. It doesn’t matter what happened, but it matters how I react to it. A mistake only lasts a second, but my reaction sets the tone for the rest of the game. 

Which has been your greatest team accomplishment? Personal accomplishment? How did they make you feel and which one would you say is more rewarding?

My greatest team accomplishment is winning a gold medal with Team USA two years in a row. My greatest personal accomplishment is either committing to my dream school to play Division I lacrosse at Boston College or playing on Team USA and representing my country. All of my achievements are products of dedication and my pure love for the sport. They are proof that dreams come true when you work hard and want something more than others. My accomplishments are a testament to my belief in myself. Both my team and personal accomplishments are extremely rewarding, but there is no better feeling than achieving a common goal with a team that you truly see as family.