The Perfect Pronoun

FROM YOUTUBE

Speaker Jeff Perrotti

As seniors poured out of the forum, minds racing from writing college essays and Juniors stumbled out of the Athletic Center, brains aching from taking the PSAT, every student was ready to relax.

However, the members of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee had the opportunity to attend a workshop organized by Jeff Perrotti, an acclaimed LGBTQ activist. Faculty had the opportunity to attend this workshop before school began. Students were surprised by this informative workshop.

Jeff Perrotti has dedicated his life to the LGBTQ community. He is the founding director of the Safe Schools Program for LGBTQ Students, a professor of Psychology at Harvard University, and a conductor of workshops on sexual orientation and gender identity for schools pursuing safe environments for LGBTQ students.

Prior to the workshop, members were asked to complete a one-question survey about a key LGBTQ issue at Groton. Apart from this survey, members did not know what to expect from the workshop, but Mr. Perrotti impressed them through his interactive style of lecturing.

First, Mr. Perrotti explained the basic LGBTQ terminology, and many members shook their heads knowingly, but he also defined some aloof, yet essential terms. For example, many members were not aware that the term “gender” is different from the term “sex”. The term “sex” refers to the biological sex of a person, but the term “gender” can refer to a person’s outer or inner expression: male, female, or unisex.

Mr. Perrotti then proceeded to have members stand in response to questions about their relation to the LGBTQ community. He asked, “How many of you know a person who is homosexual?” Almost every student stood in response. He then asked, “How many of you know a person who is transgender?” Only a few students rose from their chairs.

Mr. Perrotti successfully educated members on the proper terminology used to describe LGBTQ individuals and showed members that transgender issues are not discussed as frequently as they should be.

The next portion of the workshop was dedicated to hearing from transgender individuals. As the college student stepped into the room, no one wondered if he was anything other than a male. However, this transgender student shared his story of being born as a biological female, but knowing physically and mentally that he was a male.

He talked about his childhood of being labeled a “tomboy” and of wanting to wanting to be a “boy” when he grew up and of wanting to wear male clothing. He told students that it was challenging to explain to his parents that although they believed that they had a daughter for years, that they had a son.

He also informed students of the challenges that he faced in high school, especially of developing an eating disorder because he did not wish to eat or drink all day so that he would not have to face the embarrassment of using the incorrect restroom. However, this transgender student also expressed that he was fortunate to have the support that he did from his friends and eventually, from his family.

Again, no one would have guessed that the young girl sitting before him had been born a biological male. However, a fourteen-year-old transgender student spoke about her transformation into the person that she had always known that she was.

She talked about her childhood of having all female friends and of having sleepovers and of wanting to wear female clothing. She talked about the support that she received from her school, and her friends, and most importantly, her family. She told members that the one of the easiest ways to make a difference is to call a person by the correct pronouns; the student will now only respond to her.