The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Student Newspaper of Groton School

The Circle Voice

The Secret Lives of Faculty Pets

Groton’s closely intertwined community of students, faculty and staff hold a collective admiration for the adorable faculty pets. Everyone knows which animal belongs to which teacher and loves seeing them around school every day, whether strolling around the Circle, strolling by the football field, or playing in the Forum. Varying in species, sizes and especially personalities, each pet is a unique and important part of the Groton community.

Courtesy of Ms. Hamlin

A clear example of this bond is the one between Ms. Hamlin and her dog Moose, a fluffy German Shepherd and Husky mix. Inspired by Ms. Hamlin’s wife, Nat’s, love for naming dogs after other creatures, Moose’s name is just as unique as the dog herself. Moose is a rescue dog adopted from West Virginia. Ms. Hamlin describes her personality as calm and almost “cat-like,” always curious about nature and sniffing everything in it. “Moose wants to get her 10,000 sniffs everyday,” Ms. Hamlin jokes. “She always loves chasing squirrels … and one time she actually caught one.” Moose’s playfulness and bountiful energy bring joy and companionship to Ms. Hamlin’s and Nat’s lives.

Courtesy of Mrs. Wall

Current and former residents of Wall’s dorm are happily familiar with Mollie Bear, Mrs. Wall’s Pomeranian. Though she is no larger than a coffee machine, Mollie Bear carries with her a fierce, peppy and energetic personality.  “Her presence brightens everyone’s mood,” Ms. Wall says. According to her, Mollie loves to snuggle and, even more, to eat. Mollie Bear’s cunning spirit and (near extreme) affection for food led her to inadvertently “train” Mrs. Wall’s young children to give her frequent treats. More than 10 years of companionship makes her an irreplaceable member of Mrs. Wall’s family and a dear friend to all.

Courtesy of Ms. Ho

Yet another familiar face on campus, Ms. Ho’s dog Bubbles is known for her “infectious personality.” Ms. Ho found Bubbles, an adorable white Peekapoo—Pekingese and Poodle mix—after a spontaneous trip into a pet store and an instant connection thereafter. “I’ve always wanted a dog growing up,” Ms. Ho says, “and this was my first time having a pet.” Indeed, Bubbles’ charming and energetic personality suits her name perfectly. A couple of Bubbles’ favorite habits include playing fetch, sleeping, taking walks, and smelling the grass. She is also quite loud and protective of those around her despite her petite size. “She’s kind of like a defense dog,” Ms. Ho says. Bubbles has made her name as a popular pet among many students and faculty.

Courtesy of Ms. Sen-Das and Mr. Das

Ms. Sen-Das and Mr. Das own a pet cat: a four-year-old Russian Blue named Cricket. Like many fellow felines, he enjoys chasing rays of sunlight and curling up in the sun, basking in the warmth. Mrs. Sen-Das describes Cricket as a playful cat who “makes us laugh by hiding in boxes or jumping onto them when we least expect it.” He is also known to respond like a human when spoken to, as if one weren’t speaking to a cat at all. Overall, Cricket’s owners love the content routine he has established in their home of eating, sleeping, playing, and curling up in their laps while working.

Although these are only a few of the beloved pets that can be found on campus, there are many more adorable animals that bring infinite love and happiness not only to teachers, but to students as well.