The Circle Voice

Getting to Know Ed

S. Conroy '19

S. Conroy '19

S. Conroy '19

Does the name Ed Wetterwald ring a bell? For many students, he is the mysterious man behind the weekly menu emails. However, what most of us aren’t familiar with are the aspects of this Groton chef outside of Groton. Oftentimes in the Groton bubble, we forget about the others around us, only getting a small and shallow glimpse of the staff here at Groton. Piecing together a full picture of Ed portrays him not just as one of the people behind the delicious variety of foods available, but also as a chef with a fascinating background and many other interests.

Cooking has always been an important part of Ed’s life. Even when he was younger, Ed recalls preparing meals for his family. He continued this passion throughout college at Johnson & Wales University in Providence Rhode Island, graduating in 1995 with a bachelor degree in Culinary Arts. After college, Ed worked at restaurants and hotels. His last job was working as a sous chef at the Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts. In 2007, he joined the Groton staff, and now currently fills the role of executive chef. Ed’s job involves “menu writing, overseeing culinary, server and dishwasher staff.”

Ed “fell in love with” cooking, and described it as an “art form.” Most of all, he enjoys the aspect of creating different combinations of food. At Groton, he exercises this skill to appease the various palettes among this diversified group of diners. He has traveled to places such as Puerto Rico and Costa Rica where he has continued to learn about different cuisines. Additionally, the mix of the international and national students exposes Ed to new types of cuisines, as well as cultivates “an educational experience” for the rest of the staff.

Outside of Groton, Ed lives in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, with his wife of twenty-one years, Phoebe. In his spare time, Ed plays hockey frequently during the week, exercises, and is currently teaching himself Spanish. An avid traveller, Ed’s most memorable traveling experience occurred in Italy, drawn to the “culture and history and the food, but mostly the food.” He marvels at “how each area has something that you can’t get in other places.” As for the immediate future, he plans to travel to Switzerland, Germany, and Prague this June.