Best bites around Groton

L. Toce '19

Chloe White ‘19 picks up an order from the Cottage in Ayer.

With Parents’ Weekend here and St. Mark’s Day soon approaching, students and parents are faced with the annual opportunity of eating off campus. Eating food other than that of the dining hall is always one of the most exciting prospects of Parents’ Weekend, and there are are plenty of restaurants from Gibbet to the newly opened Point to try with your parents.
Gibbet Hill Grill
Perhaps the most popular restaurant, Gibbet is approximately a five-minute drive from campus. Gibbet’s menu boasts produce grown right from their own farm, which surrounds the restaurant. The cuisine is made up of steak, seafood, salads, and soup, all served in hearty portions that will leave you stuffed. Groups of up to forty people can reserve the upstairs section of the restaurant, called the “mezzanine,” while smaller parties of eight can reserve “the Silo,” a private room perfect for birthday dinners. Gibbet also offers several gluten-free options as well as a kid’s menu. The only downside of the restaurant–because it is so popular–is that getting a reservation is nearly impossible, especially on Parent’s Weekend, unless you book weeks in advance.
Lucia’s Tavola
Located in Ayer, Lucia’s has a seemingly endless menu of delicious Italian food. Their generous portions are also perfect for large groups. “The relaxed dress code is nice because I can show up after my soccer games without changing out of my uniform,” says Addie Newsome ‘18. Although the service may be at times quite slow, the delicious cuisine is well worth the wait!
Filho’s Cucina
Filho’s is a small italian restaurant in Groton that offers both sit down meals and take out. The menu has a wide selection of delicious Italian food that is very reasonably priced. The small restaurant fills up very quickly however, and they do not accept reservations. Filho’s offers seating both outside and inside, and if the tables are filled up, you can always take out food from their huge ready-to-go bowls of pasta and salad at the register.
Blackbird Cafe
If you aren’t looking for an extravagant dinner but rather a low key breakfast or lunch, Blackbird Cafe is the ideal spot. A short drive from campus, Blackbird has a delicious selection of brunch foods consisting of pancakes, omelettes, sandwiches, cookies, and eggs in any style. You pay when you order, the food is served very quickly, and you clear your own dishes when you are ready to go.
Johnson’s Restaurant and Dairy Bar
Another student favorite, Johnson’s has delicious burgers, fries, subs, ice cream and shakes that are reasonably priced and can be taken to go. Johnson’s is a necessary stop for after a sports game or before a long drive home. With fast service, cheap and tasty food, and plenty of seating options, Johnson’s is sure to satisfy.