MasterChef: Groton Faculty Edition

From dorm feeds to advisory dinners to class time rewards, teachers cook snacks for students throughout the school year. But a few teachers go above and beyond with regard to the quantity and quality of their meals. These delicious treats comprise this list.

Mrs. LeRoy’s Monkey Bread

Mrs. LeRoy is very generous when it comes to providing food for her dorm. The most exciting nights in LeRoy’s are when mountains of monkey bread stretch across the common room table. It is not uncommon to hear squeals of delight emanating from the surrounding students. These special occasions are not taken lightly. The gooey, cinnamon covered bread only lasts a few minutes before the masses of girls have cleaned out the entire platter. “I would sell my soul for it,” said Nailah Pierce ’18. “After a long day and stressful study hall, when I got to check in and saw that there were two glorious trays of monkey bread radiating sunshine around the LeRoy common room, everything was better. It is hands down the best feed and I will never forget the happiness my dorm mates and I felt as we scarfed down every last bit, even licking the cinnamon sugar off our fingers,” said Layne McKeown ‘18.

Mr. Creamer’s Cupcakes

If you are lucky and happen to be a student or an advisory member of Mr. Creamer’s, then you are sure to have the privilege of eating one of his famously delicious cupcakes. Mr. Creamer is kind enough to serve his cupcakes to his math classes as a prize. “He does games sometimes in his class as like, test review. If the class wins the games, he sometimes gives them rewards,” said advisory member James Hovet ’18. The cupcakes are reportedly rich and addicting, and students of Creamer math classes always hope for the days when he will surprise them with cupcakes.

Mrs. Martin-Nelson’s Sweet Tea

Since her arrival at Groton seven years ago, Mrs. Martin-Nelson has made sweet tea for her classes in the spring term. Her authentic sweet tea is delicious and very refreshing on stiflingly hot spring days. The tea has built up quite a reputation for its unmatchable flavor, and in the spring each student looks forward to the day that Mrs. Martin-Nelson will serve it in class. “The refreshing and powerful flavor is a great boost of energy,” said Sammy Malhotra ’18. Nothing goes better with Latin than sweet tea!

Mrs. Bannard’s Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark

Mrs. Bannard is perhaps the best dorm head on campus with regard to the bounty of feeds. Almost every night that she is on duty, Mrs. Bannard is sure to provide copious amounts of delicious food. Her most famous feed is a crunchy and irresistible bark made up of layers of salted chocolate, toffee and pretzel. This Bannard’s dorm delicacy is so addictive that it is often referred to as “crack.” “It’s my favorite dorm feed by far,” reported Sophie Conroy ’19 of the delicious concoction. “It takes hardly any time at all to make, and I always have the ingredients…which makes it dangerously easy to throw together,” said Mrs. Bannard. “After it’s set, you can break it into whatever size pieces you like, and then try not to eat it all before sharing with friends/hoarding for later (I prefer to go for the latter).”

Mrs. Ginsberg’s Baguette with Fig, Jam, and Cheese

Perhaps the most elegant dish on the list is Mrs. Ginsberg’s baguette with fig, jam, and cheese. It is a favorite of Dumont’s dorm. “Mrs. G’s baguette with fig and jam and cheese is heaven — there’s the sweet and salty which combine in an epic explosion of flavor,” gushed Hallie Bereday ’17. This savory dorm feed is a refreshing alternative to the typical feeds of pizza or cookies. The rave reviews from Dumont’s prove Mrs. Ginsberg to be one of the most skilled chefs on the Circle.