2016 REJOICE Gospelfest Held at Groton

COURTESY OF RON DIXON

Students sing at the 15th annual REJOICE Gospelfest.

On April 2, Groton hosted the 15th Annual REJOICE Gospelfest, welcoming gospel choirs from the Greater Boston area for gospel workshops that culminate in a concert. Since the event’s inception in 2002 at Concord Academy, many different schools have hosted it. The Groton Gospel Choir and the six other choirs each had individual performances and a few mass choir songs, according to Mr. Dixon.

The choirs reported to Gospelfest at 1 PM for a concert at 7 PM. They practiced four songs as a mass choir, spending about an hour per song, then briefly reviewed their individual choir numbers.

During the day, workshops were held to teach the choirs the mass choir songs chosen by directors who also led workshops. The directors also taught the choir the history of gospel music.

Gospel music is derived from the gospels in the Bible, and many gospel songs use repetition to praise God. It also stirs different emotions in people, whether it be happiness or sadness. The audience for the genre varies with the venue in which it is performed.

These workshops were very popular, with many singers saying that they added to the experience, and helped refine their singing skills. In addition, socializing with students from other schools made the event even more enjoyable.

After all the preparation, the time for performances finally came. As the audience filed in, the mass choir took their places on the stage.

Gospelfest opened with the song “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” a lively piece that had everyone in the audience clapping along.

They sang three more songs as a mass choir, and then filed into the rows of the CPAC until their choir was called to give their individual choir performances. The individual choirs were called up by David Coleman, Director of Choral Music at Dana Hall School, who, along with other members of the band, played the accompaniment.

During all of the performances, the audience was invited to stand and clap along. Groton School’s performance of “Jesus I Won’t Forget” was particularly memorable. The other schools’ performances, with different soloists and dances, also contributed to the lively atmosphere.

Mr. Dixon, Director and founder of Groton’s own Gospel Choir, loved hosting Gospelfest. He says that he was a part of Gospelfest as a student at Brooks School and enjoyed it tremendously. The event has grown larger since its beginning: this year about two hundred students participated.

Mr. Dixon says that he has never seen the CPAC as lively as on the night of Gospelfest. Ben Milliken ’18 and George Altshuler ’18, both members of the Groton Gospel Choir, think that the night was “exhilarating and inspiring.” Although the day might have seemed long, George says it “passed by quickly, as they enjoyed every minute of it.”