A GRACEful Summer Experience

Promotional image for GRACE

FROM THE CIRCLE VOICE FILES

Promotional image for GRACE

This upcoming summer, Groton’s administration will launch the Groton Accelerate Challenge Enrich (GRACE) Scholars pilot program, a new initiative started in the hopes of creating new academic opportunity for students.

Set to run this summer from July 3 to July 30, GRACE was established to prepare its participants “for the rigor of Upper School, while also recognizing the importance of summer recreation, enrichment, and fun,” said administrators.

Seeking to give students a month-long opportunity in the summer “to make considerable academic progress,” according to program director Dave Prockop, GRACE will offer courses in areas ranging from English to Latin to STEM fields (such as chemistry). Each designated scholar will either polish his skills in two subjects of his choice or fulfill the prerequisite of an advanced STEM or classics course.

This year, twenty students were selected to become GRACE Scholars, and all but two have enrolled in the program. Before the start of the application process, various teachers encouraged Third Formers, whom they deemed qualified, to apply. Those who chose to submit applications indicated the courses that they wished to take. Their teachers, along with other members of the same departments, made admissions decisions based on whether the applicant would be in a position to benefit from the courses for which they signed up.

On a typical GRACE weekday (excluding Saturday), students will attend two or three ninety-minute classes. In between the first and second class periods, they may take advantage of a conference-like block set aside for a quick snack and extra help from their teachers. And during their free periods, some students may opt to take electives in astronomy or computer science, while others will serve as tutors for the Epiphany School students who will also be living and learning on campus this summer.

Epiphany students in front of the Chapel.
FROM THE CIRCLE VOICE FILES

After the final class period of the day, the GRACE Scholars will each partake in an outdoor activity before eating dinner and completing schoolwork during study hall. As they will be intramural as opposed to interscholastic, the afternoon exercise options will include swimming, hiking, running, and canoeing.

What will distinguish GRACE from four additional weeks at Groton school is the emphasis on personal enrichment outside of the classroom. Rather than attending check-in directly after study hall, students will have the chance to bond with one another at triweekly campfires and semiweekly evening outings. The campfires, which will be held on campus, will be only twenty minutes long each time, whereas the nighttime excursions, taking place off-campus, will each last up to two and a half hours. The GRACE Scholars will take part in activities similar to those offered by the SAC during the school year, such as trips to the mall and mini-golf at Kimball Farm.

On the weekends, the program’s participants will, in addition to taking two classes on Saturdays, experience further the non-academic, recreational aspect of the program. Aside from visiting local attractions, they will also visit assorted beaches and the Boston Harbor Islands.

In preparation for the pilot program, GRACE planners have “tapped into almost every administrative department in the school,” says Mr. Prockop. From the IT Department to the Business Office to Buildings and Grounds, they have sought assistance with matters concerning online enrollment, financial aid, and facility use.

In July, nine faculty members will oversee the implementation of this pilot program. Depending on GRACE’s success, Groton may collaborate with peer schools.

But for now, GRACE’s organizers are busy at work. “Even with some steps taking longer than anticipated, the process is on track,” Mr. Prockop remarked. “We’ve got students enrolled, teachers signed on and facilities reserved, so the pilot exists, and it’s already full!”