The Circle Voice

Hugh McGlade ‘13 Digs Into Groton’s Past

Toce+%2719
Toce '19

Toce '19

Toce '19

Since August 1, Hugh McGlade ’13 has been on the Circle digging into Groton’s rich history. With guidance from a working committee of trustees and faculty, which includes his former advisor Dr. John Tyler, Hugh currently works as a research assistant for the third volume of the Groton School history volumes. Groton School has produced two official school history books: the first covers the period between 1884 and 1934, and the second covers 1934 to 1974.

The entire project will take roughly four years, with the final writer of the volume to be confirmed in the months to come. Hugh “had no idea” that Groton produced such histories, but is now “honored” to be a part of this project. “Groton’s really prepared me well for this,” he said. A member of the Form of 2013, Hugh was an active member of the School community, participating in theater, choir, a cappella singing, and serving as president of the Debate Society. A talented speaker, he won the Richard K. Irons Public Speaking prize twice.

Hugh discussed the work he is doing: “The research goes into three parts: archives, interviews, and surveys,” McGlade said. He plans on going through the Groton archives dating back to 1974. In addition, he has begun interviewing longtime faculty members. He has sent out a survey to all senior prefects since the Class of 1974 “concerning Groton and how their experience was and what was the most important to them during their time here.”

He is passionate about history and languages, particularly Spanish and Portuguese. History classes with John Tyler, John Lyons, Jen Wallace, and others inspired Hugh’s love of history, and Spanish teachers Luis and Fanny Viacava and Andy Anderson taught him about the power of foreign language. “They were the individuals and figures who allowed me to regard languages seriously and pursue my passions,” Hugh said. He credits his interest in Latin America to a fourth form Global Education Opportunity in Peru. “It was a great experience for me,” he said. “I was interested in learning more about it when I showed up in college.”

After his Groton career, Hugh graduated from Emory University in Atlanta with a Bachelor of Arts in History and International Relations. While a student there, he studied Spanish and Portuguese. Alongside his professor, Hugh visited Brazil to assist in research. Through these opportunities he confirmed his passion for historical research, especially in Latin America.

Hugh will spend time on- and off-campus conducting his research through the end of December, after which he will go to Brazil to start his year there as a Fulbright scholar. “I applied to do a Fulbright Scholarship which allows American students to go abroad, do research, and take classes,” said Hugh. He hopes that his experience will help him foster “mutual respect and understanding.” During his research, he has been a great familiar Grotonian face to see occasionally around campus.