Welcoming Future Grotonians: Revisit Day, 2016

The Chapel was instantly filled with laughter as Rose Lovy ’16 recalled a particularly memorable experience at Groton. Parents, revisiting students, faculty, and students sat in attentive silence as Rose delivered her chapel talk on the morning of March 31, the first Revisit Day of 2016. On this day and on the second Revisit Day, held April 5, admitted students and their parents arrived on the Circle to experience a day in the life of a Grotonian.

All revisiting students and families arrived the evening before both Revisit Days. After being introduced to their hosts, they attended the student panel, in which current seniors answered prepared questions. Parents were also given the opportunity to ask questions themselves. The rest of the evening was spent attending a musical showcase featuring the Gospel Choir and munching on Parlor cookies. At Parlor, students had a chance to socialize with other students entering their form and converse with current Groton School students.

A panel of Sixth Formers spoke the night before Revisit Day.
COURTESY OF CHRIS TEMERSON

Admitted students were assigned a host for their time on the Circle. Almost all Third Formers had revisits, as well as some Fourth and Fifth Formers. An Nguyen ’18 welcomed Estela from Brazil, who came on the second Revisit Day.

“The night before Revisit Day, we went to Parlor together. My revisit, Estela, shook Mr. Maqubela’s hand and got the chance to talk to Third Formers who would be in her form. She was also very interested in dance, so I introduced her to a couple of the dance captains,” said An Nguyen ’18.

Revisits started their school day with breakfast in the Forum, chapel, and gleaned the full Groton experience by accompanying their hosts to classes. In addition to meeting form mates and Groton students, revisiting students were also able to familiarize themselves with the environment and classes they could potentially join next year. During their free time, they were given leeway to meet with coaches or teachers, especially if they had particular interests as athletes or artists. Meanwhile, parents sat in on classes to see how teachers led discussions. By noon, students and parents met up to enjoy a lunch prepared by the Dining Hall staff.

“Estela really liked English,” An said. “It was one of her favorite classes here. Estela also had a good amount of knowledge about Chemistry, so she was able to catch up with the pace of my AP Chemistry class. She said she was definitely leaning towards Groton and was looking forward to going to a friendly, welcoming place though she would be far away from home.”

Revisiting students explored the new spaces in the Schoolhouse, were shown around dorms and some even stayed overnight in current students’ rooms. The atmosphere at Groton was very spirited. The Schoolhouse was crowded; in classrooms, the air bounced with vibrance.

“I enjoyed having new participants in Latin class,” said Candilla Park ’18. Revisit students saw in classes that Grotonians were extremely engaged in the intellectual life and wanted to learn: it was one of the most appealing aspects of Groton for them.

Students were glad, as much as the revisiting students, to have had the opportunity to meet new students and relish the excitement and activities of the day. Some students felt that the school and Forum emitted a fresh vibe. Admissions Prefect Melissa Marquez ’16 was particularly reminded of her experience as a revisiting student a few years back.

“It was nice seeing a bunch of students as I saw myself four years ago,” Melissa said. “They made it feel like the first day of school as I saw so many new faces. I’m glad that I was able to meet and talk with various students with different hobbies and backgrounds.”

This year, according to the Admissions Office, a total number of 107 students came to the Circle for revisits. From different countries and backgrounds, 56 students came on March 31 and 50 came on April 5. Admissions were glad a majority of admitted students came for Revisit Day.

“The community did a great job hosting our revisiting students, and I expect that a great majority will be enrolling at Groton,” said Ian Gracey, Director of Admissions.

Groton students and faculty alike look forward to greeting these students this fall.