Perseus, Persuasion, and Prisoner’s Dilemma: Winter Electives to Look Out For

Courtesy of Johnny Fan ’22

From Classical Arabic to Playwriting, a wide range of term-long electives are offered for students to challenge themselves and delve into their interests. However, most students only learn of these courses in their Fifth or Sixth Form years, when they take fewer year-long classes. To make lower-schoolers more aware of the many possibilities of these exciting electives, a few of them are highlighted below.

Environmental Chemistry – Mr. Maqubela

The main focus of this class is ozone, specifically the atmospheric chemistry of the protective ozone layer and photochemical smog, or the harmful ozone layer. Students apply scientific knowledge to the challenges humans face today, and “Mr. Maqubela’s analogies and real life stories help the students be involved,” said Johnny Fan ’22.

The Mythology of Greece and Rome – Mr. Bannard

Not only do students explore Greco-Roman myths, but they also analyze the ancient readings through various lenses. “Reading and discussing extensive mythology in depth, I now have a very different approach [to] the stories I read in my childhood,” said Alesandra Powell 22.

Jane Austen – Mr. Fry

In this class, the students read Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and one of her epistolary novels. Rufus Knuppel 22 expressed his strong interest in the author’s work and described her as “the architect of a modern slow-burn, the marriage plot, and our beloved enemies-to-lovers arc.” As students who are both familiar and unfamiliar with Jane Austen’s novels participate in the class, the diverse interpretations open up the discussion, allowing students to reflect on their own voice.

America in Vietnam – Mrs. Wallace

Students immerse themselves in discussions about the United States and Vietnam’s perspectives on the Vietnam War. “The contrasting viewpoints from classmates in these important historical events are really fascinating,” said Emily Li 22. With Vietnam veterans Jim Lockney and Rudy Kallock, both previous Groton staff members, co-teaching the class, students strengthen their understanding of the events through first-hand accounts and insights.

The Waste Land – Mrs. Sen-Das

Since the texts are lengthy and dense with allusions, the class spends weeks grappling with this poem of T. S. Eliot, The Waste Land. The climax, however, is when students write their own Waste Land with three weeks dedicated to crafting a sophisticated poem. “I am looking forward to synthesizing allusions and studying the amalgamation of influences on Eliot’s life,” said John Rogers ’22.

Game Theory (Discrete Math) – Mr. Creamer

This elective has students solve intricate math problems faced in daily life.“It is really fun as we play games against our roommates for homework and look into the math components of rock, paper, scissors,” said Julia Trowbridge ’22. Unlike traditional math classes, this elective presents opportunities to dive into a more specific area of math.