Fall Senior Tutorials

With fewer course requirements, Sixth Formers have more flexibility in their schedules and may arrange personalized tutorials. Undoubtedly, Groton’s traditional curriculum cannot accommodate the wide range of interests of the diverse student body. Providing an opportunity to delve deeply into a topic not covered by the curriculum, Senior Tutorials allow students to plan their own courses with faculty members of their choice. There are three Senior Tutorials taking place this term.

Understanding Dampened Oscillations will be a tutorial sponsored by Mr. Hall and conducted by Will Norton ’17. Will hopes to “learn about dampened oscillations in the context of an RC [radio controlled] car’s suspension.” Having taken Mechanics last year, Will developed an interest in this specific concept than others. “I have always been interested in Engineering, Science, and Math,” he said. Will plans to document his work in a presentation which he will present in the Forum.

Mr. Creamer will lead the Math Appreciation Tutorial which focuses on “covering materials on opportunistic problem solving and on differential equations,” according to Peter Zhang ’17, one of three students partaking in the tutorial. Joining Peter will be Catherine Qiao ’18 and Isabella Yang ’17. According to Mr. Creamer, those who are drawn to these types of tutorials are “students who want to push themselves in a certain discipline when they have exhausted out traditional class offerings.”

Chris Ye ’17 plans to work with Mr. Maqubela on extending his knowledge in organic chemistry. In Organic Chemistry 3, he will focus on pericyclic reactions and the Hammett equation. “Pericyclic reactions are concerted reactions with a cyclic transition state, which roughly means instantaneous with a circular shape,” Chris explained. After completing his research, Chris hopes to write a paper on his findings.

Senior Tutorials help students pursue their passions through in-depth studies. For Third, Fourth, and Fifth Formers, it is never too early to think about Senior Tutorials.