The All-New Lead Prefect

Changes in Dorm Leadership Cause Doubt Among Students

Millie Kim '17

Students enjoying time with their peer counselors under the current system.

It is spring term once again. The flowers are blooming, and the weather is gradually improving. Soon the current Sixth Formers will leave the Circle, and the Fifth Formers will finally step up to fill their absence.

Fifth Formers are even busier than normal as they deal with standardized testing, the beginning of the college process, and, of course, the prefecting situation for the upcoming year. Next year’s housing situation will feature a new role known as lead prefect.

Every dorm will be assigned one lead prefect, who is expected, in addition to performing normal prefecting duties, to discuss regularly with the Deans, dorm head, and other lead prefects how to improve residential life on campus. Lead prefects will undergo leadership training at the beginning of the year. They are also expected to organize residential activities such as work program and prefect-duty nights.

According to Mr. O’Donnell, this lead prefect system was a “complementary change” to the new peer counseling system. Next year, the number of peer counselors will be reduced, with one or two peer counselors per dormitory. In addition, the peer counselor group will consist of both Fifth and Sixth Formers. As a result, the number of Sixth Form peer counselors will be drastically cut. The lead prefect system responds to this change by creating a new way in which Sixth Formers who are interested can devote more time and attention to enhancing the residential program.

“Although every Sixth Former will take on leadership positions in their dorm,” said Mr. O’Donnell, “the lead prefect system was introduced so that those who wish to go above and beyond the expected Sixth Form leadership expected as dorm prefects could do so.”

Lead prefects will work closely with peer counselors to provide students with appropriate support. They will undergo training similar to that of the peer counselors, with only a slight shift in focus.

Lead prefects will work more closely with the Deans’ Office, as well as with the entire residential program. They will also manage issues regarding emergency response and safety with training in areas such as CPR and first aid. Students who are selected for the lead prefect positions are expected to prioritize residential life and work to address issues related to students’ well-being. Just like the peer counselor role, involvement in disciplinary action can mean losing the lead prefect position.

Regarding the lead prefect system, dorm placement has emerged as a potential problem. Lead prefects and peer counselors will be placed in dorms where they seem to be needed, which may contrast with personal preference. For instance, a rooming pair will not be separated, but friend groups may be.

To this Mr. O’Donnell responded, “The reaction is understandable as prefecting is a long-standing tradition at Groton. However, the introduction of the new prefect system is not intended to depart from the original prefecting system but to create opportunities for those who wished to be more committed and spend more time in improving the residential life at Groton.”

Since this system has not been previously implemented, students have expressed their doubts, especially on the topic of Fifth Form peer counselors. “Since Fifth Formers experience a lot of stress, I feel like there will be an imbalance if they become peer counselors alongside the Sixth Formers.” said Melissa Marquez ’16.

There is also some apprehension concerning Fifth Formers counseling fellow Fifth Formers or even Sixth Formers. An Nguyen ’18 said, “If there were only Fifth Formers prefecting in a dorm, other Fifth and Sixth Formers may not feel comfortable going to them.”

With only eighteen spots available, competition for the lead prefect positions promises to be stiff. Mr. O’Donnell estimated that there will be a total of 24 applicants, all of whom are boarding students. Perhaps the qualified students selected in this competitive process will rid any doubts regarding adjustments in the prefecting situation.