Tribute to Elson Harmon

On June 18th, 2019, Elson Harmon, a man enthused by music, literature, and theater, passed away, leaving the Groton community in grief. With his death, members of our community lost a remarkable friend, mentor, and artist. 

Before joining the Circle, Mr. Harmon accomplished many things. Departing from his childhood state of Pennsylvania, Mr. Harmon earned his bachelor’s degree from Princeton University and his PhD from Duke University. After his tertiary education, Mr. Harmon immersed himself in teaching at Syracuse University, his last stop before joining Groton’s English department in 1986. 

Mr. Harmon was a man of many admirable qualities; many remember the quirky sense of humor, inspiring attitude, and traditional values that made him such an extraordinary person. 

John Capen, English teacher and mentee of Mr. Harmon, explained that his  “quirkiness and the way he’d chuckle at himself” were defining characteristics that will be remembered fondly. Mrs. Gracey also remembers that Mr. Harmon used to “bounce on his toes when he got excited.” 

But beyond his cheerful personality, Mr. Harmon was fiercely dedicated to his students and struck the match to their literary success. 

Martha Gracey, an English teacher and former colleague of Mr. Harmon, explains that his passion for teaching was one that never seemed to dim: “Teaching his courses meant the world to him, and he was fiercely dedicated to the students in those courses.” For the next thirty-one years, Mr. Harmon shared his passions with our community, whether it be on stage as the theater director or in the English classroom. Even after retiring in 2017, Mr. Harmon remained a constant presence on the Circle, keeping in touch with past students and teaching part-time. 

Paul Michaud ‘18, a close student and mentee of Mr. Harmon, remembers his teacher to be, “aAn exceptionally caring and intelligent man who was unforgivingly committed to helping young people wrestle with language.” Between Mr. Harmon’s unwavering dedication and fiery passion for literature, he touched the lives of both students and colleagues. 

He was a mentor to many members of the English department by lighting a fire in our souls and inspiring us with his love of literature and language,” Mr. Capen reminisces. 

Mrs. Gracey adds that Mr. Harmon maintained a certain “traditional” outlook among the Groton faculty. At faculty meetings, he was frequently the one to remind others of the core values of Groton, keeping our school’s essence alive. Mr. Harmon’s valuable input, contagious laughter, and unmatched zeal for language made him a role model to many, and his distinct presence will be forever missed.

Mr. Harmon, though seemingly quiet, had a curiosity so colorful and an intelligence so profound, it was hard to miss. His list of interests includes: poetry, music, and theater. Mr. Harmon used poetry as a second language, deducing thoughtful messages from every line. He welcomed difficult texts, and enjoyed the writings of  Shakespeare and Dante in particular. His passion for the piano was similar to that of poetry, evident in the way he played every note with the same pride and emotion that he did a word on a page. “Elson could play with a poem the way he’d play the piano, making the most of the music and expressing the meanings in wonderful ways,” according to Mr. Capen.

But Mr. Harmon’s adoration for the performing arts sparked deeper curiosities within himself, and he was a talented theater director during his time at Groton. Mr. Capen recalls the  “enjoyment that Elson felt while producing the show Noises of by Michael Frayn.” Through the theater program, Mr. Harmon found additional ways of communicating outside of the classroom, and his fondness for the theater grew so strong that he made a journey to London every year to view a performance.

The unparalleled appreciation that Mr. Harmon had for language and the performing arts was his most useful tool when communicating with others. In and outside of the classroom, retired or full-time, Mr. Harmon was an educator — devoted and caring. The relationships that Mr. Harmon formed at Groton were not ones that expired with a student’s graduation, for there was a mutual enthusiasm for language that kept the ties from becoming severed. 

Furthermore, Mr. Capen explained that some of the brightest students at Groton found him to be their “lighthouse” and they were “drawn to him like moths in the night.” The legacy that Mr. Harmon leaves behind is a meaningful one that entails a genuine love for literature, performing arts, and teaching. Douglas Brown, a fellow colleague and admirer of Mr. Harmon, shared that his dear friend was a “born teacher, wanting to share with others the things he loved so much.” 

Mr. Harmon is the epitome of the ideal Groton teacher. He perfectly embodied the school motto, cui servire est regnare –– “To serve is to rule.” Mr. Harmon’s life work reached far beyond an immeasurable adoration for language, for he found true success in teaching others to appreciate his passions just as much as he did. Mr. Harmon was commemorated on August 3, 2019 at a local burial site, and a moment of silence is planned in his honor in the upcoming school year. Paul concluded by saying that above all else, “he was one of those teachers who becomes your friend.”