Artist of the Issue: Derek Chang

Courtesy of Derek Chang '20

Derek Chang ’20 performing at the American Protege competition.

Senior Derek Chang ’20 discusses his love for the violin, his experience placing third at the world-renowned American Protege music competition at Carnegie Hall and his plans for the Circle as lead music prefect.

When and how did you first pick up the violin?

I started playing the violin when I was five. I was actually introduced to the violin and piano at  the same time, but playing the piano never really “clicked” with me. I found the violin a fascinating instrument with its elegant structure and strings filled with many musical possibilities. My mom first introduced me to the violin; she wanted to play when she was my age but did not have the opportunities to do so. 

What was it like playing at Carnegie Hall?

The acoustics of the hall were great, and I could hear myself playing very clearly. It was probably one of the best moments of my violin career thus far, and I felt honored to play in such a grand hall. I have played before in Symphony Hall, and this experience at Carnegie Hall rivals the grandeur of that one. During the competition,  I learned to stay calm throughout the performance by focusing on the music rather than the audience before me. This technique has helped me before in auditions for the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra as well as district and state orchestras. Overall, this experience has helped me realize the value of relaxing during potentially stressful moments. 

Who are your favorite composers and violinists?

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johann Sebastian Bach, and Samuel Barber are some of my favorite composers. Mozart is light-hearted and uplifting and has always helped cheer me up or put me in a good mood. Bach has helped me be more introspective and reflective. I have always imagined myself standing out on the plains listening to Barber, seeing the landscape before I go on for miles. I enjoy listening to Yehudi Menuhin, Jascha Heifetz, and Itzhak Perlman. They are able to connect with something deeper within all of us, as they are not only great performers of music but also interpreters of what it means to be human. 

What are your plans as a lead music prefect and for your Sixth Form year in general?

I hope to expand the music program on service days and other out of school activities. I would also like to increase the number of musical performances for all the groups, whether on- or off-campus. I am constantly inspired by all the musical talent and passion within Groton’s student body, and I hope I can accommodate the needs of my fellow students. I would love to work towards a full senior recital next year as the culmination of my music career at Groton, incorporating pieces that I have played during my four years here. I don’t have a music FSA in mind right now, but I’m planning on continuing with my triathlon FSA. 

What are your plans in the orchestra during the upcoming school year?

I hope that in addition to the standard repertoire we could play some more modern pieces, such as Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, or the Game of Thrones theme song. I would also like it if we could play more pieces that have solos in them since we have a lot of great players in the orchestra.

How do you balance academic and music life at Groton?

I think balancing academic and music life at Groton really comes down to being able to squeeze out sometime during the day to do something you love. I find that I sometimes unconsciously waste a few minutes here and there, and those minutes can add up. And playing music requires just a few minutes from your busy routine, and I have found myself feeling refreshed and more focused after playing for a little bit. Music can serve as a reset button, and finding time for it only requires some initiative and conscientiousness. 

Does Groton’s music environment ever feel competitive as students are constantly surrounded by so many talented musicians at Groton?

No, I would actually say that having a lot of talented musicians helps foster interest and growth in the musical program, and it’s generally a very supportive environment. I don’t think I’ve experienced a competitive musical atmosphere here at Groton, as I think the music program here can really help you mature as a player without feeling pressured. 

What are your plans for music after graduation?

I’d like to continue playing the violin in college, and I plan on joining/auditioning for whatever orchestral and musical groups are available. I also hope that I can find some time to pick the piano back up again.