Beyond the Circle: Members of the Form of 2017 commited to college teams

MacGregor Beatty, Univeristy of Chicago, Tennis : MacGregor Beatty has played at the top of the Boys’ Varsity Tennis ladder since he was in Third Form. Next year, MacGregor will play tennis at the University of Chicago. A competitive program, UChicago is currently ranked fifth within the University Athletic Association (UAA) and holds a 13-2 record as of their last match. Being in his fifth year of high school, NCAA regulations will force MacGregor to forgo his final season as a Zebra. Despite this, MacGregor will serve as a team captain and offer encouragement and support for his teammates from the sidelines.

Hallie Bereday, Georgetown University, Crew : A member of Groton’s first boat for the past three seasons, Hallie Bereday is a dynamic and talented rower who will join Georgetown University’s crew team next year. In addition to rowing at Groton, Hallie is a member of a club sculling team back home in Tampa, Florida. Earlier this fall, Hallie competed in the Head of the Charles Regatta as a part of her sculling FSA. After much work in the past few years, Hallie commented that “the recruiting process was really nerve wracking. Crew recruiting is also unique because there is a measurable value of how strong you are– a 2k score on the ergometer.”

John Cecil, University of California Berkely, Crew: Even as a second former, John Cecil was a key member of Groton’s Boys’ Varsity Crew team. For the past five years, John has rowed on one of our top four boats. Next fall, he will row for the University of California Berkeley. A strong rower with a 6’11 frame, John has worked hard in every practice and race, pushing himself to make it to the final cut of the US National Team. This past summer, he rowed at the Royal Henley Regatta in England, representing Groton along with the other members of the varsity boats. After his hard work, John looks back on the process, saying, “[It was] long and hectic but I’m glad that it’s over and I’m going to the school of my choice.” With his last Groton crew season ahead of him, John is eager to strengthen his skills even more in preparation for the college level, where he is sure to thrive next year.

Caitlyn DiSarcina, Butler University, Soccer: Since her Second Form year, Caitlyn DiSarcina has been an integral part of the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team. Caitlyn has extended her skills outside of Groton to the FC Stars club soccer program. Her dedication and hard work paid off, and she will play Division I soccer at Butler University beginning next fall. Caitlyn notes that, “The soccer recruiting process is really time consuming. I joined the club soccer scene my sophomore year at Groton. After a tournament in Florida my Fifth Form winter I committed to Butler, and was the last of two to commit on my team. I’ve loved my time on Groton soccer and I can’t wait to see where my time at Butler takes me.”

Maddie Ferrucci, Bowdoin College, Field Hockey: Starting goalie on the Varsity Field Hockey team since her Third Form year, Maddie Ferrucci is a “brick wall” as her teammates might say. Outside of school, she plays indoor and outdoor field hockey with the HTC club team, based in Connecticut. With HTC, Maddie has made it to regional and national tournaments. Next fall, Maddie will step on the field at Bowdoin College. Eager for her next season, Maddie said, “People at HTC combined with Ms. Harlan were super helpful with the recruiting process. I am really looking forward to taking field hockey to the next level. I can’t wait to improve my skills at the college level and join a team that all loves the same thing and is invested in spending time together.”

Marcella Flibotte, Trinity College, Lacrosse : Next fall, Marcella Flibotte will begin at Trinity College, ready for another four years of lacrosse. At Groton, she has been on the Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse team since her Third Form year. Off the Circle, Marcella has played on a club team, MassElite, since seventh grade. She is eager to play college lacrosse, saying, “Everyone on the team is incredibly nice. I look forward to joining the Bantams next year. I got recruited the summer after my junior year after a playing in a few tournaments and camps. Last year they made it to the NCAA finals, and I can’t wait see their coming season.” Marcella will be missed on the Groton team, but she will surely thrive at the higher-level game next spring.

Rashawn Grant, Colby College, Football: Next fall, Rashawn Grant will travel to Waterville, Maine and suit up for another football season. The Colby College commit dedicated the past three years to the Varsity Football team, and served as a captain in his senior year. A crucial part of the defensive line and working hard as a linebacker, Rashawn’s talent on the field has paid off, bringing him success. Many Groton games and highlight films later, Rashawn is ready to step off our campus and onto another. Rashawn is excited to “continue playing football and be surrounded by a group of likeminded individuals grinding for one singular goal. Blue team pride. Go mules!”

Amani Jiu, University of Akron, Soccer: Next fall, Amani Jiu will step onto the campus of the University of Akron in Akron, Ohio and join the Women’s Soccer Team. Four years on Groton’s varsity team, two of which she served as captain, have prepared her well to play Division I soccer. College coaches recruited Amani through her club team, FC Stars. Her hard work has paid off, as Amani says, “the recruiting process, for soccer at least, is very demanding. You have to reach out to coaches and express interest in schools, and make sure you’re getting the exposure you need. I’m looking forward to continuing my athletic career for as long as I can.”

Verity Lynch, Dartmouth College, Crew: Rowing since her Third Form year, Verity Lynch has invested many hours of hard work and focus into Groton’s Girls’ Varsity Crew program. A varsity rower for all four years, she has been an integral part of the team, providing endless support and inspiration for her teammates. Next year, she will be rowing at Dartmouth College. Verity reflected on the process, saying, “It was slightly unconventional since rowers don’t commit as early. It really depended on keeping up with coaches via email and watching a few practices rather than going to showcases and tournaments.”

Carrie Moore, Emory University, Soccer: A member of Girls’ Varsity Soccer since her third form year, Carrie has been a crucial player to the team’s defense, where she plays outside back. Outside of Groton, she has trained in weightlifting and plays on a club soccer team, both preparing her for higher-level competition. Year round, she attends tournaments with her club team, flying to various states such as Colorado and Florida. All her hard work has paid off, and next fall Carrie will be attending Emory University. She’s eager to join her new team next year, saying, “The recruiting process was stressful, but worth it. I look forward to being a part of a college team.”

Terrance Wang, Amherst College, Squash: Groton’s top boys squash player of the past three seasons will continue his career at Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts next winter. A Division III program and a member of the NESCAC, Amherst is consistently ranked among one of the top men’s collegiate squash programs in the nation. As number one on varsity’s ladder, Terrence has been a crucial member of the team and will be a strong addition to his new team next year. He has been playing squash for ten years now, and has had great achievements in the sport. Terrence is ranked nationally, his highest being second within his age group. Even with his tremendous talent, Terrence commented that the recruiting process was “very stressful.”